As today’s the first day of Spring, the Spring Equinox as it’s formally known, we thought we’d put together a quick list of the top five things we like about Springtime in the Napa Valley.
5) The price most locals (and even some visitors) pay for living in the blossoming valley during Springtime is dealing with some serious allergies. It’s on our list because it’s a reality, not necessarily because we “like” it.
4) Gazing at the beautiful wild mustard that continues to blanket the valley floor (see the photo in the header of this blog and the photos we posted here). Spring means warmer weather and this annual rite of passage will soon fade away until next year…
3) Waking up early on the weekends to find the bright blue sky filled with hot-air balloons. Better yet, walking out your front door to grab the newspaper and seeing a hot-air balloon landing just a few feet away.
2) Bud break! We wrote over the weekend that we’re starting to see buds appear on the vines all over the valley–it’s an exciting time that marks the beginning of yet another vintage. At the same time, Spring is also a worrisome time for most grape growers…
1) Hearing the familiar whir of the wind machines on cold Spring nights as local grape growers fight to keep the frost off their young buds.